Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Planning, Building & Development

Planning, Building & Development

Planning, Building and Development consists of three sections; Planning and Zoning, Building Code Enforcement and Stormwater. For more detailed information concerning these sections please use the left side panel to select the appropriate section. Below is a list of related questions and answers.

How do I obtain a building permit?

To begin this process, three considerations must be addressed. These considerations are water and sewer, zoning and applicable codes.

Water and sewer may be regulated by Union County Public Works, Environmental Health or a combination of the two agencies.

Adherence to the NC Building Code is mandated by the Building Code Enforcement Division.

To secure a residential building permit you must submit a completed building permit application. Forms are available online via the link below or in our office. Along with this application you must either have an accessibility letter from Public Works of Sewer and/or Water (this letter may be required to come from the appropriate planning jurisdiction),or a septic permit or septic waiver from Environmental Health,. You will also need zoning approval (parcels under the jurisdiction of the County will be handled in our office), lien agent and workers comp information (if the job is over $30,000).

Cost of a residential permit is based upon square footage, (heated and/or unheated). Please reference the fee schedule listed in the popular resources section below.

How does zoning work?

The Zoning Administrator is responsible for the enforcement and administration of the Union County Development Ordinance which governs the use of property, setbacks from property lines, violations of the ordinance and floodplain for unincorporated Union County. The Zoning Administrator is also part of the commercial plan review of buildings being constructed within the County's jurisdiction.

Union County’s zoning jurisdiction does not include the following cities, towns and villages:

For more information about zoning in those jurisdictions please contact them directly. You can find their contact information in the Development Guide (page 48).

How do I subdivide, develop or rezone my property?

Each development activity has a specific process to follow. View the Development Guide for a synopsis of the various development processes.

How To Videos

Log in to keep track of your favorite resources.


Union County Planning

500 N. Main St., Ste 70
Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3565
Fax: 704-292-2582

Richard Black
Planning Director
Phone: 704-292-2580

Planning and Zoning Staff

Brian Matthews
Assistant County Manager

Richard Black
Planning Director

Bjorn Hansen
Senior Transportation Planner

Lee Jenson
Senior Planner

James King
Zoning Administrator

Pam Rivers
Administrative Assistant

Union County Building Code Enforcement

500 N. Main St., Ste 47
Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3816
Fax: 704-292-2513

Permit Center

Mark Griffin
Building Code Enforcement Director
Phone: 704-283-3643